The school has a broad range of volunteer positions. Food Safe or equivalent certification is not required to help in the kitchen, but the school is able to provide Food Safe certification to interested volunteers ($100 value).
- Breakfast: Help is needed between 0730-0930 hr with preparing and serving breakfast to kids. Positions are open on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and volunteers are invited to help out on a weekly basis on one or more days.
- Hot Lunch: Provide kids with a nutritious meal by lending a hand between 1030-1315 hr each week on Tue, Wed, or Thu.
- Hot Lunch Money Count: Help is needed every second Tue between 0930-1100 hr with counting money from the hot lunches. If organization and working with numbers are your strengths, your help would be greatly appreciated.
- Geary Community Food Smart Program: The program provides bags of fresh produce at reduced prices to local families and community stakeholders at large. Volunteers are needed once/month (2nd Wed of each month) at the Geary Lion’s Club to help weigh, re-pack bulk produce, and then pack the Members’ produce bags.
- Helping Hands: Teachers would greatly appreciate having helpers in their classrooms to support various activities during the school day. Tasks vary from day to day. Clear direction is provided by the teacher, and volunteers will never be bored!
- Gardening and Woodworking: The school has an outdoor garden that the students maintain with help from the community. Volunteers are currently needed to build light-weight convertible cold frames, or “winter tunnels”, to help protect the garden over the winter. During the summer, help is needed to maintain the garden while the students are on vacation – volunteers are rewarded with the ripening harvest over the summer months!
- Naturalist Club: A program and materials for a Naturalist Club is available…all that is needed is a person who wants to share their love of the outdoors with kids. If you’re interested in species identification and swamp walks, this is a perfect fit for you.
- Enrichment Clusters: If you have a passion that you would like to share, enrichment clusters are ideal. Clusters involve meeting with kids for 45 min. sessions once/week for a total of four weeks. During each session, volunteers share a skill, interest, or experience with kids.
- Maker Space: Take things apart and put them back together, identify a problem and work towards solving it, and tinker with ideas and objects. The Maker Space is all about creating, tinkering, engineering and art, experimenting and flexibility. Volunteers are needed to support kids as they problem-solve and learn. Hours are flexible and, while mechanical and technical experience is useful, only curiosity is needed. Donations of old electronics, tools, left over art supplies, or those little bits that you aren’t sure what to do with are always welcome.
- Family Open Night: We are looking for an amazing volunteer who will commit to a weekly session of ‘Open Gym’, where students, and families alike, can come shoot some hoops, play some badminton, and generally assist with the vibe of the night. This volunteer would be needed from 1830-2030 hr Fri nights. Our school custodian will open/close the Community Doors then clean up the gym, so everyone can have fun!
- Elementary Literacy Friends (ELF): ELF is a one-on-one literacy mentoring program that matches a trained volunteer with a grade two student who would benefit from additional literacy support. Training and materials are provided, while volunteers bring good listening skills and patience.
As a gentle reminder, all volunteers must have completed, prior to volunteering, a Criminal Record Check and the Department of Education’s Policy 701.